Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cozy

I'm obsessed with cozy. The word, the feeling, all the embodies it. I have been this way since I was little. In 1st Grade there was this book in my classroom that I would always read when my work was finished. It was a Muppet Babies book and I remember nothing about it except for my favorite page-a picture of some Muppet Babies all cozy inside on a rainy night. I get all warm just thinking about it. In 2 or 3 grade I loved Winnie the Pooh and my favorite Pooh video was called "The Blustery Day". I used to fill pages of notebooks with "stories" that were really nothing but descriptions of cozy towns, cozy houses and the people that lived in them. (Gilmore Girls fans: think Stars Hollow).
Growing up, I hated dance class or any after school activity that took me out of my house on a cozy type of day. Some of my favorite growing up memories took place in the fall. I loved coming home and hanging out inside (apparently I'm an indoor girl) and playing with my dolls while my mom melted caramel for dipping apples and of course had the pumpkin spice candle going. In college I always got homesick when the weather changed because I missed my cozy home.
One of my favorite books is called Winter Solstice. I love to read it every winter because it gives me such warm fuzzy cozy feelings. It takes place in Scotland and in every scene there is a fire lit in the fireplace, frost on the windowpanes and people sitting around drinking scotch.
I have always loved gray blustery days because to me, nothing is better than a sweatshirt, some quilts, a fire in the fireplace, a candle (preferably pumpkin spice) and a warm beverage (preferably coffee). My dad tells me this is inherited from his side of the family. My great grandmother was also quite fond of cloudy days.
My dream house is a cozy cottage, and when I decorate I just want things to feel comfy and cozy. I like the lighting to be relaxing, not harsh and rooms to feel welcoming and warm. Dave laughs at me because sometimes I get a wave of what I call the "cozy feeling", where I get all warm inside and this feeling in my stomach that I really can only describe as cozy.
Fall and winter are my favorite seasons because the cozy feeling comes around a lot more. It also come around a lot more in Williamsburg than it did in Northern VA. Crazy I know. Williamsburg is definitely one step closer to my Stars Hollowesque dream town. And our house on Winster Fax is one step closer to the cozy cottage of my dreams.
Hope everyone is having a cozy fall night!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Megs, I totally identify with what you are saying. Every single word I could have written myself! I thought I was only one who felt that way and actually liked cold, cloudy fall days. I too have experienced the "cozy" feeling but could never really describe it. I beg O.E. to build fires in the fireplace and I even have a secret desire to sip Scotch, but I'm afraid it wouldn't taste as good as I imagine. As soon as it gets cold her (I'm so sick of it being 85 degrees!) then I'm going to reread Winter Solstice. Think Spice Tea and Cinnamon Raisin Toast and Little Women...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We should have a cozy weekend getaway sometime and try some scotch!

    ReplyDelete