Sunday, October 4, 2009

Happily Ever After...

...Thus ends the tale of Sense & Sensibility on this cool October evening, only 4 days later than my self made end date. I must say, I am surprised. Elinor and Edward had pretty much fallen off the radar as far as I was concerned, but then all of the sudden he comes to visit, acts super weird and then BAM they are engaged! Had they even spoken in months? Wasn't Elinor supposed to be getting over him? I wanted her to end up with Colonel Brandon, but hey, if Elinor is happy I am happy. That girl deserved a happy ending. She was so busy taking care of and stressing out for everyone else that I hope she spends content and peaceful evenings relaxing with her strange husband in their parsonage and not worrying about the well being of everyone else.
And Colonel Brandon and Marianne? Was he only in love with her for her looks? She was so rude to him the entire book, they never even had a real conversation yet eventually he won his prize thoroughbred and they got married. And she came to love him just as much as she loved Willoughby even though he was old and decrepit (in her eyes) and wore flannel waistcoats.
All of the problems that spanned over 290 pages were wrapped up like a neat parcel in the last 7. We spent hours and pages grieving and mourning for both women and their lost loves. Feeling frustrated with the social constraints that kept them completely helpless to do much about their situations and wondering if they, well mostly Marianne, would ever recover. Then all of the sudden the sisters return to Barton Cottage and everything works out perfectly. Elinor and Edward even get the forgiveness, I mean money, they need from his mother in order to marry since they weren't in love enough to marry with no money.
This leaves me wondering about dear ole Jane. Did she do this as a happy ending because that's how every good love story should go? Or was it more of a social commentary or even satire? I don't know and I'm not going to try to argue one or the other because I have no idea what I am talking about. But if anyone has an opinion I would like to know.

Now...on to the next book. I have decided that I don't want to follow my aforementioned schedule and will instead be reading Northanger Abbey next. I am also going to be reading Knit Two, as sequel to Friday Night Knitting Club, written by Kate Jacobs. It is too hard for me to read one book at once and I just got this one from the library so I need to read it before I have to return it! Besides, it will correspond nicely with my blanket knitting project while also providing me with an easy read.

Also I am reading Prodigal God by Tim Keller right now, its amazing and changing my life. I LOVE books like that.

2 comments:

  1. Megs--I loved this post. You have such an analytical mind for books, and I'm loving it. I have not read this book, but having read other Austen books, I would guess that you're on target and that the book may be a combination of both satire and hope in the beauty of love. Hmm...
    Northanger Abbey is one of my faves! And it will be good to read around Halloween. Also, I'm all about reading 2 books at once--it helps you to take a break from one when you need it but keep on reading. Can't wait to read what you think about it.
    Also, I want to read the Keller book you mentioned. I'd love to hear more about it :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AK, your comments encourage me to keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete