Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Why Am I Just now Reading This?

It is an extrememely rare moment at my house. So rare I am almost afraid to breath, or even type this sentence in fear that the moment will end. Both boys are asleep. Will at last another 30 minutes? Another 30 seconds? I will soon find out...

I was just sitting down to read Gone With the Wind, when I thought about my blog that has not been updated in awhile (a product of opposite nap schedules). And so I decided to take a moment to share how wonderful Gone With the Wind is. I keep asking myself why I waited so long to read it. Yes, it is long, but length has not deterred me before. I read all 800-something pages of Breaking Dawn in a weekend, though that is a slightly quicker read.
My good friend in high school always claimed GWTW was her favorite book. My best friend in elementary school made me watch the 5 hour movie, which as an eight year old I claimed was "disturbing". My mom has read all the sequels and prequels (but never the actual book), and I watched the movie again with my dear friend and college roommate when we were the only girls on the entire grounds of UVA not doing rush week. That to say, I have been wanting/avoiding reading it for years and I finally decided to dig in. I am only about 1/4 of the way through, but I sincerely look forward to sitting down with it. I have an ongoing battle for my oh so small personal time (to read or to knit) but I have to confess that since I started GWTW reading has won out. The descriptions of Atlanta and the old South are beautiful, Scarlett O'Hara is a character you love to hate, and I also feel like I am getting another education on the Civil War.
If you need a good read, this is a must! And its one of those books that looks good on your shelf and sounds good to say you read. Oh and if there is still anyone else out there who, like me, is completely and morally opposed to the Kindle, you may find it a bit heavy and hard to read in bed, but I assure you its worth the trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Someday you and I must go to Atlanta- to the Margaret Mitchell House Museum. It's an amazing shrine of GWTW obsession. Your post makes me want to read it again...

    ReplyDelete