Sunday, August 30, 2009

No Nap Noah

Noah won't nap. Again. As a new parent this has been the bane of my parental existence thus far. The source of most of my parenting stress. Yes, I understand how this must sound to parents of tweens or teens, but those people are not reading my blog, and I am a firm believer in "it's all relative". As you may notice from my profile, I am not Babywise and I hate CIO. Even though I do agree that letting your baby cry is sometimes the only way, it has rarely worked for Noah. I won't go into all the details, but at this point we have decided it is not what works for our family.
That said, I have stressed about sleep, if I am doing it right, teaching him how to self soothe, if he is getting enough and on and on and on. I own 6 sleep books, read articles online and stress myself into a mess about this one thing. But why? I have an extremely happy and healthy baby. He may not take 2, 2-3 hour naps a day or sleep through the night, but once again he is happy and healthy. Rarely cranky or fussy and developing well. Babies aren't robots, and in my opinion, no matter what Babywise says, the same formula does not work for all of them. Noah may be a short napper and a bad sleeper but there are far more horrible things that he could be. This is what I try to convince myself of on mornings like this where I have spent an hour and a half trying to get him to nap and finally give up, letting him crawl all over the house and essentially ignoring him because I am at my parenting wits end at the moment. Praise God for Baby Einstein and strong coffee.
Ok, Noah is now trying to scale the fireplace so its time for me to sign off.

No comments:

Post a Comment