Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Coffee Spoons

One of my favorite poems, maybe my only favorite poem, is The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
by T.S Elliot, my favorite poet. I fell in love with it in high school. Here's why-

The yellow fog that rubs its back against the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes,
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seeing that it was a soft October night,
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep...

There will be time, there will be time
To prepare to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of toast and tea...

For I have known them already, known them all-
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured my life in coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with the fall
Beneath the music from another room.
So how should I presume?



I know nothing about poetry, another thing I would like to change. I do know that it seems very simple, but extremely complex at the same time. I know how I feel when I read certain poems and I think that is what really matters. Poetry is always something I want to read and write more of.
My second year college roommate was a poetry major and is now getting her M.F.A. in poetry. She would let me read some of her work. I never understood it, yet I always understood it, and felt honored she would share it with me because I felt that it was a window into her heart and life.
That's something I like about poetry. You don't have to fully understand the words or the meaning to get what it is saying. I think most people tend to be intimidated by poetry, the reading and the writing of it, but I also believe that most of us have a lot of poetry living inside of us. We can read it and we can write it because we feel it and experience it each day.

Maybe one day I will become brave and post some of my own poetry on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment