Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sense & Knittability

The days of September are dwindling and so are the pages in S&S and the thread in my first ball of yarn.
My blanket is coming together, though there are quite a lot of mistakes, and I have about 70 or 80 pages until I am done with my first book in the JA Project and onto the next, which I believe is Emma.
I have to confess (this always happens to me) that I have like 50 other books I want to read right now in addition to Emma, and its hard not to get off track. I want to reward myself for reading something literary by reading something cheesy, trashy, chick-litty or just something else on my shelf.

Side note: I recently went to an outlet mall with my mom and husband. We only had 30 minutes so we all split up so we could go to the stores we wanted. I of course found the bookstore, which impressed both my mom and husband greatly, and returned to the car with 4 hard back books that I got for $20. And new releases at that! I digress...

I must stay the course with my project. I really want to read all of Austen's books and I am going to try to do so by the end of the year. I hope I don't regret saying that (that's only 3 months!).
Honestly, I have no idea how S&S is going to end right now so I have to hold myself back from watching the movie, which I purchased for a mere $5 at Target a couple weeks ago.
I am in a bit of a lull in the story. It seems that Willoughy is truly a jerk and really is married to someone else, and that Edward really is engaged to Lucy Steele and has no plans of breaking it off. I don't know what's going to happen with either story. I was pulling for Colonel Brandon and Elinor to get together, but I haven't seen much of him lately either. Will the Dashwood women return home after their prolonged stay in London with no resolution to their love lives?
Being the romantic that I am, I hope not.

I read a brief commentary in my copy of S&S and it was saying that in a biography of Jane Austen, written by a woman whose name I can't remember right now, the author proposes the theory that both Elinor and Marianne are based off of the personality of Austen herself. Marianne is of course her more emotional, opinionated, passionate side and Elinor the sensible has it all together and takes care of everyone side.

I think I have said this before but I definitely relate more to Elinor. I feel her stress of trying to make everyone happy, make everyone at peace and fix peoples problems. Maybe Jane was like me in that way, and also like me in the sense that she wished she could be more like Marianne and let out her emotional, passionate marianne-ness and let someone else clean up the mess.

Speaking of mess-my blanket. I feel like its a learning piece. I have begun to master how to rip out rows, but I still don't really know how to fix a dropped stitch. I look at it and I feel impressed and discouraged at the same time. I want it to be perfect, but I am also amazed at how good it looks and how far its come. Its really fun to be able to create something. It's relaxing, therapeutic and gratifying. My next debate is whether or not do continue in the baby blue or add in different colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment